Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day~ Present, & Future

Yes, yes, I know it was yesterday, but I had to get some time to get out some tears and compose my thoughts about it before I could sit down and type.... so here goes my two cents worth:

Monday was Memorial Day, which most know as the day in which we recognize and give thanks to those men and women who have served in the armed forces, some of whom have given the ultimate sacrifice of their lives. I love Memorial Day and I have always been a patriot and fully appreciate all these men and women do. Even when the orders given may not be what the soldier think is right, they still do as commanded, and that takes great strength and discipline. I also love parades. My family groans every year on Thanksgiving as I wake them early to go downtown for the Christmas parade, but I do it bc I just love parades, the floats, marching bands, big balloons, and the closeness I feel standing next to my family watching all go by..... Yesterday we went to the Memorial Day Parade in town I grew up in and in which my mom still lives. I fully expected a somber parade and some moments of joy as the bands would march by; but was I wrong! In the middle of the parade was a float that 3 families had sponsored together for their 3 young sons/husbands/brothers/uncles/(how to go on with all these titles these men must have had...?) who grew up in this town and died in Iraq. At that very moment I realized exactly what I had been dreading all this time..... MY son will be leaving son to go to the Army and most likely to Iraq, and maybe he will not come back. And if he does return he will not be the carefree joyous 18 year old boy whom I have loved a little bit more every day. Even as I write this my heart spills over to tears and I feel somewhat ashamed because I know I am not the only mother to go through this, yet at the same time I am wondering how, HOW do mothers get through this? The women in my family are regular Irish Catholic women who just accept what God gives us as is, so the overflow of emotion is strange but welcome... and darn I am gonna have a whallop of a headache in the AM! Mostly I just needed to get this out and also wanted to give appropriate appreciation and memory to the 3 young men from Aurora, IL who paid the ultimate price in the cost of freedom and democracy that we enjoy. I hope that I have remembered their names correctly (as I am going from memory) and that if read this that you will say a quick prayer for their families and loved ones for them to feel God's healing love. Eduardo Lopez Jr. Jesse De La Torre. Hector Ramos.

I know this is not my usual upbeat banter, but hey, even a mom deserves to cry every now and then...

Shannon

2 comments:

SueScrappin' said...

Shannon, I came across your space through QT. I read the above writing and my heart breaks for all the heros and what they have accomplished for us and everyone. I am a former sailor and hubby is former army so we are very patriotic. We love this holiday and the 4th also. Well, I don't usually reply to things like this but your location also hit home. I grew up outside Chicago, about 15 min. from Ohare. Although my boys are much to young for the military yet, I do worry that because of our patriotism that they will follow in our footsteps. Of this I would be tremendously proud but so scared. Anyway, from one catholic/Chicago/quilting girl to another. Thanks for the good read. God Bless you and your family and God speed to your son.

Sue Scrappin' from QT.

Unknown said...

((hugs)) That has GOT to be a rough thing. It's not something I can imagine ever facing with J5, but I know my day will come...